To say the least, experiencing nausea is no fun. This uneasy, queasy feeling in the stomach can be caused by lots of different things, but thankfully, it’s treatable.
Our AFC Urgent Care Athens, TN center highlights what you need to know about and how to effectively treat nausea below, so keep reading!
- Here’s what to do: Eat or drink ginger. Consuming ginger is one of the most popular, effective ways to treat feelings of nausea. The reason is that experts believe ginger contains compounds that work in a similar way to anti-nausea medications. There is no consensus regarding the most effective dosage, but most experts recommend 0.5 to 1.5 grams of dried ginger root per day when dealing with nausea.
- What to do next: Stay hydrated. This is something you should be doing throughout the day, but it’s especially important when you’re feeling nauseous. Staying hydrated helps the body’s organs and muscles work properly.
- What to do after: Avoid spicy foods, and stick to a bland diet. Sticking to a bland diet will help to reduce nausea, as any foods with strong flavors might unsettle the stomach further. For example, the BRAT diet is often used to relieve symptoms of food poisoning or infection. It consists of bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.
- Something else to try: Peppermint. Peppermint isn’t quite as backed by medical professionals as ginger, but it’s still highly effective. The main ingredient in peppermint, menthol, is thought to relax the stomach, which can alleviate cramping and nausea. If you want to give it a try, you can buy it as a tea or diffuse peppermint essential oil for aromatherapy by adding two to three drops of peppermint oil to a diffuser filled with water.
- One more natural remedy: Sit upright or lie down with your head propped. It’s tempting to lie down when feeling nauseous, but lying flat can actually lead to vomiting. By staying upright, gravity helps keep your stomach contents down and can relieve feelings of nausea.
- If natural remedies don’t work: Try OTC antiemetic medication, like Dramamine. Antiemetic medications are anti-nausea drugs that can help to reduce feelings of nausea or vomiting. They are often used to treat nausea or vomiting symptoms caused by motion sickness or infection.
- Action steps to take: If you experience nausea that lasts for more than a week or if there’s a possibility that pregnancy is the cause of nausea, visit your doctor.
- Doctor recommendations: Make conservative choices when it comes too food. This means doing things like eating small meals throughout the day instead of three large meals, eating slowly when you do eat meals, and avoiding hard-to-digest foods.
Feeling rough? Don’t hesitate to visit us at AFC Urgent Care Athens, TN to get the treatment you need to feel better!