Getting a flu shot every year is highly recommended by the CDC, but in 2020, it is even more important than it normally is. The coronavirus is still a large concern for our community, and with the uncertainty regarding how the flu season will coexist with the virus, being as vigilant as possible is key.
If you have questions about whether or not to get a flu shot this year and how it can help, your AFC Urgent Care Athens, TN team has all the details.
Who Should Get a Flu Shot This Year?
Just as in years past, the CDC is recommending that nearly everyone over 6 months of age receive a flu shot in 2020.
Unless there is a reason why someone should not, such as an allergic reaction, they should receive the flu shot. It is especially important for those who are high-risk, such as children or the elderly, pregnant women, and those with chronic conditions.
Other Ways to Protect Yourself Against the Flu
- Wash your hands often with soap and water.
- Avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes with unwashed hands.
- Social distance when out in public.
- Wear a mask and only go places where others are doing the same.
Why Is This an Important Year to Get the Flu Shot?
Some people who get the flu will get mild symptoms, but for many, it will require a trip to the doctor to receive flu medication or even extensive hospital care for those who are more at-risk.
This can overwhelm our already-struggling medical system, and increase the chances that those receiving treatment will be exposed to someone who is carrying COVID-19 as well.
Benefits of Getting Your Flu Shot
- You are less likely to get the flu if you are exposed to it.
- If you do get sick, it will generally be less severe than if you had not gotten the shot.
- You can do your part to reduce the strain on our medical workers.
Still need to get your flu shot? Your AFC Urgent Care Athens, TN team is here to make it simple! Schedule an appointment with us or drop by today to get your flu vaccine quickly.